Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Breakfast of Champions

I always get asked about my diet, what I eat, when I eat,  and how much I eat.  When I get to the part about 8 eggs for breakfast, I get the deer-in-the-headlights look or a gasp of air in surprise (or disgust?). It never fails! I typically go on to explain that it's 8 egg whites and only 1 yoke, to which they ask: "how do you do that?" So here it goes:
 
How to cook an egg using 8 egg whites and 1 yoke. I add lots of spinach because I'm currently restricting carbs and I need all the digestion help I can get, plus it's an easy way to add greens to your diet.

Step one: Crack and separate 7 egg whites from the yoke. I use a glass, it's much easier than an bowl.

2 eggs were used from previous carton

Step 2: Place skillet on burner, add spinach  (I start burner on high heat and adjust accordingly). You don't have to let the spinach cook at this point. I move to step 3 immediately.

Step 3: Pour cup of 7 egg whites into skillet, then add the one full egg on top

Step 4: Cook for approximately 2 minutes, then carefully flip the egg over without breaking the yoke. Tip: Use a spatula, you're not a food ninja.
Cook face down for approximately 1 minute.

Step 5: Place egg on plate and serve. Flip the skillet over and the egg will drop out onto the plate just like when cooking a regular size egg.

Level of difficulty: EASY
Time from start to finish: 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment